Monday, November 5, 2012

Chicken Reuben Sandwhich


I started reading Real Food: What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck. There is a section on fermented food focusing on fermented soy products. Nina writes," Fermented foods like sauerkraut, cheese, and yogurt, are among the oldest, and most nutritious processed foods. Yogurt is widely associated with longevity." The same week I received an email on an Intro to Probiotics and Fermented Food by Brian Johnson. Below is a video on how to make your own fermented sauerkraut  This is something I am thinking of trying in the future. Right now I'll stick with Bubbies Sauerkraut. It is sold at my grocer in the dairy section with the eggs. It has to stay refrigerated because it has no vinegar or preservatives. I've been adding more fermented foods and probiotics containing foods, like kefir, into my diet to help my immune system. It has taken a beating the past 6 months.


Chicken Reuben Sandwhich

4 slices of gluten free sandwich bread ( I used a recipe similar to this one from Small Plates and Sweet Treats: My Family's Journey to Gluten-Free Cooking, from the Creator of Cannelle et Vanille )
2 cooked chicken breasts chopped
1/4 cup of shredded asiago cheese
1/4 cup of Bubbies Sauerkraut drained
1/2 cup of spinach leaves
2 TBS of Bolthouse Farms Honey Dijon Dressing (this is gluten free)
Organic Ghee or organic butter ( use amount desired)

Heat a cast iron griddle skillet on medium low heat. Spread ghee onto bottom and top of sandwich bread. Top with cheese and chicken divided evenly between the two sandwiches. Place sandwiches in skillet cook until cheese is melted and bread is toasted. Flip once to evenly toast each side being careful to not lose the filling. Remove from skillet and top with kraut, spinach, and dressing. Makes 2 sandwiches.

No comments:

Post a Comment