Thursday, November 29, 2012

Greek Yogurt Pancakes & FAKE protein "treats"


When I started on my health journey many moons ago I tried all kinds of funky "healthy" recipes. Typically in weight training magazines or on websites you are bound to come across recipes that require an addition of protein powder to baked goods like cookies, biscotti, and pancakes. If you have ever tried this type of recipe you may agree with me it activated your gag reflex. Am I the only one? I once made these diet oatmeal raisin cookies from a popular diet cook book. It was the summer of my sophomore year of college and  my high school friend, Garrett, was over visiting. He dubbed these nasty little creations as "cookie chunks." They were huge chunky balls of cardboard; a poor excuse for a cookie.
These days I avoid recipes of this nature. It is just not natural. Though I try to eat and bake in a healthy manner I demand my food taste good not just pack a nutritional punch. Who wants to eat a cardboard textured cookie chunk anyways?

Today's recipe is a crepe like pancake. It contains a cup of low-fat Greek yogurt. A cup of this yogurt contains 24 grams of protein. Be for-warned these are not Grandma's fluffy flapjacks the texture is "different."


Greek Yogurt Pancakes


1 cup of low fat Greek Yogurt
1 TBS of coconut sugar
Dash of cinnamon
2 eggs
1/2 cup of Pamela's gluten free baking & pancake mix
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1 cup of mixed berries fresh or frozen (defrosted)
Maple Syrup

In a large mixing bowl whisk together yogurt, sugar, cinnamon, and eggs until smooth. Next stir in pancake mix and sea salt.

Heat a griddle or pan and oil with butter or coconut oil. Pour batter into 8-10 small pancakes. Cook until bubbly then flip and cook other side. Top cooked pancakes with berries and syrup.

Serves 4-5 ( 2 pancakes each)

No comments:

Post a Comment