Friday, July 20, 2012

Wake Me Up Cherry Zinger Smoothie


LIFE IS JUST A BOWL OF CHERRIES or so they say. This phrase means everything is great and well today is Friday so this morning smoothie foots the bill. I've been having this shake every morning this week with one of my yummy blueberry muffins as my pre-workout breakfast. I drink half the shake for breakfast and save the other half for my midmorning snack with a scoop of protein powder added in.



A few thoughts on cherries:

  • Cherries are best bought organic as they are on the dirty dozen list
  • Cherries are a great source of the phytochemical anthocyanin that can help prevent cancer and protect against cardiovascular disease.
  • Cherries are packed with antioxidants in fact 1 cup of cherries can carry 4,873 antioxidants.
  • Cherries contain melatonin a hormone that is made naturally by the body to help regulate sleep and brain function. Try eating some before bed as a natural way to promote a healthy sleep cycle



Cherry Zinger Smoothie

12 bing cherries pitted (frozen or fresh)
1/2 cup of low fat greek yogurt
1 orange juiced  or 1/4 cup of orange juice
1 packet of stevia
Ice ( use less if using frozen cherries)
1 cup of milk ( I use cashew or coconut)

Add all your ingredients to your Blendtec or blender and process until smooth. Serves 2. Enjoy!


Today's Workout Blip:

Today's workout from my Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan I performed 30 minutes of HIIT cardio on the treadmill. Here is an article from Livestrong.com on how to put together this type of workout.




Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

4 comments:

  1. Cannot wait to try this smoothie out! Do you use protein powder at all? Any suggestions on which brand or how to use it? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AKT, thanks for the comment! I use Vita Whey protein. I am gluten intolerant and its gluten free, dissolves quickly into anything and does not have a flavor so it takes on the flavor of what you blend it with. I love it! I've used in smoothies, pancakes, oatmeal, protein bars, and have yet to find it not work well. Here is the link to the protein http://www.myvitasource.com/en/home-page-products/vita-whey-isolate-protein.html
      -Brooklynn

      Delete
  2. Cannot wait to try this smoothie out!! I'm on holiday in Greece and it's so hard to eat clean. Any suggestions on which protein powder to use and how much to use in a smoothie? The one that I use suggests 2 full scoops and it sounds like an awful lot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use Vita Whey in all my shakes and just 1 scoop has 50 calories, 15 grams of protein, 0 grams of carbs and sugar. Its recommended to have 15-30 grams protein post workout. I personally stick to one scoop at a time.

      Delete