Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Simple Crunchy Granola (gluten free)


 Here at the Lean Gourmet Kitchen we are serious aboutbreakfast. I mean just look at that face; nothing gets between us and breakie!

Today’s recipe is crunchy, slightly sweet,and just like us a little bit nutty (sshhh don’t tell the neighbors!)  I found this recipe for this delicious homemade granola out of magazine in 2009. Since adopting a gluten free diet I have found that store bought gluten free granola is expensive, overly sweet,and lacking in protein.
What I love best about this recipe is you can “shop” your cupboards and use what you have and adapt it to your taste and own preferences. Simply use this recipe as a guide and get creative!

Simple Crunchy Granola

2 cups of gluten free rolled oats
1 heaped cup of unsalted raw nuts ( use a combo if youlike)
¼ mixed seeds ( I love chia, sesame, pumpkin, sunflower)
¾ cup unsweetened shredded coconut ( I’ve made it with orwithout, both ways are good!)
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
5 TBS of maple syrup or honey
3 TBS of grapeseed oil or virgin coconut oil
1&1/2 cups of dried fruit ( use small pieces as large chunks of apricot and prunes become rock hard!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Don’t skip the parchment paper your granola will stick and burn to the panL . If you have been following my blog I suggest you buy stock in the stuff asI use parchment paper frequently. In a large mixing bowl toss the oats through cinnamon together until combined. Then drizzle the honey or maple syrup and oil over the granola and stir until well coated. Spread granola out on parchment paper lined pan ( don’t worry I haven’t forgotten the fruit!) and bake for  25 minutes or until golden brown and toasted.Then remove from oven and stir in your dried fruit. Cool and store in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 2 weeks if its not all gone by then! We enjoyed our granola with cashew milk; yes you read that right and you can find out how to make cashew milk here.

For my granola feature in this shot I used hemp hearts, chia seeds, almonds, raisins,& walnuts.
I didn’t have any coconut so I omitted it in the granola that is pictured.
Hey Mickey! She likes it she really really likes it!


Today's Workout Blip:
I worked out at home yesterday and thus skipped my incline treadmill workout. So today I did a little combo and performed incline HIIT; oh Lord! I found this workout from PBfingers.com and pinned it here.

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn



No comments:

Post a Comment