Monday, August 20, 2012

My guilty pleasure:Waffle Stick Dippers & Kitchen Retail Therapy


So I got this email. For this waffle stick dipper pan.



 You see I got a Cuisinart waffle iron at my bridal shower  almost 6 years ago and it does not get along with gluten free waffle batter. No matter how much oil is on the sucker the batter sticks and I end with half  of waffle on each side of the plates and a waffle torn in half. So I thought gee my kid needs waffles. I'm going to go buy this pan and make gluten free waffle sticks cause every kid needs to have waffles for breakfast some time. The price was $14.95 and oh look here I got a $10 off promo for signing up for emails with the  Sur La Table website ( do that here at bottom of page.)  I would walk out the door with $4.95+tax and a lifetime of waffle sticks coming my way. Until I walked into the store. I was alone. No toddler. No husband. Just me and my glistening Amex card (we're really good friends.) I walked around for 30 minutes. Picking up bowls, looking at whisks ( there are many different types), checking out all kinds of gadgets, lusting after a bpa free flax recycled plastic cutting boards, marble slabs, expensive kitchen knives. I told Rich that if he is ever unsure of what to buy me just get me a gift card to Sur La Table. I got so many new ideas for posts and questions of my own. Like what are all these different whisks and what tasks are they used for?  Is cheese cloth reusable? Would my readers like it if I started doing posts on how the average gal next door can learn how to use extraordinary kitchen tools and gadgets. ( let me know; I think this is a cool idea!) Needless to say more ended up in my bag than the intended waffle stick dipper pan.
I walked out of the store with a cast iron skillet pizza pan, a can opener, natural cheese cloth, cooking twine, a square tart pan, english muffin rings, and yes the waffle dipper pan. I hate coming clean with my purchases. I didn't blow the budget. I actually have some hard earned overtime money stashed away for these frivolities. I thought I would just let Rich learn of my indiscretions when he reads this post, but I told him. Because I love him and we have a open and honest line of communication. Always. In everything. After I told him he said " I know when you think you are going to get in trouble; your eyes get shifty and you look down at the floor." I said you know who that is? Our daughter. He said you are totally right! So get excited about the posts to come with my new kitchen toys.
Recipe Collage of steps-Photos By Brooklynn

Waffle Stick Dippers (gluten free)

3/4 cup brown rice flour
3/4 cup buckwheat flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp of baking powder
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/4 tsp of baking soda
1/2 cup of potato starch
1/3 cup of tapioca starch
2 TBS of blonde palm sugar
1/4 cup of grapeseed oil
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
3 egg whites

In a large mixing bowl combine rice flour through the palm sugar and mix with a whisk. In another bowl combine buttermilk, egg yolk, vanilla, and oil until foamy. Add wet ingredients to flour and combine well. Set aside. In a separate bowl beat egg whites until stiff peaks form. Place 1/4 of whipped whites into batter and fold in. Fold in remaining egg whites gently just until combined. Next oil pan or waffle iron. The Sur La Table pan is non stick but grease it because gluten free batter ALWAYS sticks. If using the dipper pan preheat oven to 375 degrees. I used an ice cream scoop to get my batter into the pan and bake for 6-8 minutes. I topped my waffle sticks with clean homemade powdered sugar recipe is here. We dipped our waffle sticks in 100% pure maple syrup. It was finger licking good!

Today's Workout Blip:

Today's workout came from  my workout plan the Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan. I am on week 10!!! Only 2 more weeks after this week. I can't believe it. I have never stuck to one workout plan and loved it for this long. I usually get bored, frustrated, or both. If you can't get it together and plan out your own weight and cardio workouts I highly recommend checking this plan out.

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

1 comment:

  1. Waffles have become the most enduring food items on the list of breakfast menu these days. In fact you may find waffles on every restaurant menu all over the world. We could experience our loving mother making these waffles since our childhood with the help of waffle maker.

    Waffle on a stick

    ReplyDelete