Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Immunity Smoothie


picture by Brooklynn
 As a health care provider I pride myself on my strong immune system. I get sick maybe 2-3 times a year. Last weekend was my weekend to work at the pharmacy and every other person at my consultation window had the same question. It went something like this, "I've had this congestion, runny nose, and my head feels like its gonna explode for 4 days. What can I take?!" At this point I graciously put some distance  between myself and the ill individual and ask a few more questions to make an appropriate recommendation. I hate being sick. I hate missing workouts. As fate would have it I ended up in my primary care doctor's office yesterday with the same symptoms as all my patients from last weekend. With a prescription for a Z-PAK in one hand and a cranky toddler in the other I headed to my local pharmacy. It is times like these when I am the patient that really impacts how I give my patient care. As much as I loathe being ill it is a nice reality check and enables me to be empathic in  my own job. Now when I'm sick I tend to lose my appetite partly because I'm not rocking my workouts and I have no desire to be in the kitchen. I came up with this nutrient and vitamin packed smoothie to help boost my immunity and fill me up.

Immunity Smoothie

1/2 cup of frozen pineapple chunks
1 cup of spinach leaves
1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk
3 drops of liquid stevia
1 TBS of ground flax seed
1 scoop of whey protein ( I use vita whey by vitasource)
Place all ingredients in blender and blend till smooth. Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment