Thursday, August 23, 2012

Beans, beans, the musical fruit...

Now that I've got your attention with the title of this post I will go no further with that little childhood ditty. Beans often get a bad rap for causing digestion discomfort, but they provide a hefty nutritional punch.


Beans are:
  • Rich in fiber ( 20% of Daily Value per serving.)
  • Source of protein (10% of Daily Value per serving.)
  • Contain folate, a B vitamin that can help prevent neural tube defects in babies in uter and help prevent cardiovascular disease.
  •  Contain lignans and saponins that help protect against cancer (colon.)
  • Composed of a resistant starch that is not digested in the small intestine and used by healthful bacteria in the colon to produce short-chain fatty acids that can protect colon cells.
  • Loaded with antioxidants
Now you know why  you should eat beans here is a great side dish to make. I often take this bean salad to potlucks and cookouts. I always get a lot of compliments and this dish. It is easy to make and transports well. This recipe uses green beans and chick peas, but I have used black beans, great northern beans, and kidney beans in different combos; so get creative and use what you have.

Bean Salad

2 cups of cooked chick peas rinsed
1 bag of Bird's Eye Steam Fresh Green Beans defrosted or 3 cups of fresh green beans steamed and steamed
1 sweet bell pepper chopped 
1 small onion chopped (about 1/4 cup)
1/4 cup Extra Virgin Olive oil
1 TBS Honey
1/4 cup Apple Cider Vinegar
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
sea salt & ground pepper to taste

Combine beans, pepper, and onion in large bowl and toss to combine. In a small bowl whisk the honey and vinegar together until honey is dissolved. Next whisk in oil, salt, pepper and tarragon. Toss dressing with beans and cover. Place in fridge for 2 hours before serving.

Workout Blip of the Day

I am sick again! Third time in the past 2 months. I keep getting nasty sinus/upper respiratory infections ( I think its due to my line of work...) Anyways I focused on stretching today because when I don't workout my muscles get very sore and tight. Here is a link to a great stretching article on Sparkpeople.com.
Source

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!
Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment