Thursday, August 30, 2012

My Bribery & Chocolate Cashew Cookies

My two year old soon to be three, Bella, is in the midst of potty training. Though such a topic may be taboo on a food & fitness blog it is tied in with today's recipe. You see we've been talking about the potty with Isabella for quite some time. Getting her to commit to the porcelain thrown has been a LONG haul. My mother says it is all pay back.  Apparently the apple does not fall far from the tree as I was the same way. Resolved to get this potty thing down before she is three I've resorted to bribery. My daughter gets a "treat" every time she uses the john. This can range from anything to dried dates, organic gummies, and her favorite cookies. Today's recipe post is inspired from Lifting Revolution. The original recipe is delicious, but when I baked these tasty  bites they became melted gobs. So I modified and tweaked the recipe a bit to make it  more of a cookie.


Chocolate Cashew Cookies

3/4 c. whole raw cashews
1/4 c. unsalted almonds (I used slivered, but any will do)
1 tbsp sesame seeds
1 tbsp quinoa, uncooked
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp dried lentils
1/4 cup honey
1/2 cup almond flour
1/2 cup shredded unsweetened coconut flakes
2 TBS of coconut oil
1/2 cup dark chocolate ( I used Lindt 85% cocoa)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place 1/4 cup of cashews, almonds, sesame seeds, quinoa, chia, lentils, & honey into a food processor. I used my Blendtec. Process several times until a paste forms. Then add in almond flour, shredded coconut, & coconut oil. Process until combined. Place 1/2 cup of whole cashews in a bowl. Next shape dough into small balls. I used my Norpro Stainless Steel Scoop, 1 Tablespoon, 35mm  to make my cookie balls. then press1 cashew into each ball and pinch dough over nut to seal. Place ball on the cookie sheet. Bake for 7 minutes. Mean while create a double boiler to melt chocolate. Place a  sauce pot  on stove. Add 1 + 1/2 cups of water and cover with a heat proof glass bowl large enough so the bowl does not touch water in the pot. Heat on medium heat and add chocolate to bowl. Stir chocolate as it melts until fully melted. Remove from heat and allow to cool. When cookies are cooled dip the top in chocolate and place back on cookie sheet. After I dipped all my cookies I popped the tray in the fridge to harden the chocolate. Store your cookies in the fridge.


Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!
Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment