Monday, August 6, 2012

Cherry Tomato Compote


I love finding good deals on food especially organic produce on sale. This week my Publix Grocer had both conventional and organic cherry tomatoes on sale for $2 a pint. It was a toss up, but I bought organic.  I was sadly disappointed that my tomatoes I brought home were a bit crunchy and not quit ripe. I turned them into this little delicious compote that is great on omelets, salads,pasta, in stuffed chicken with spinach and goat cheese, and really delicious topped on toast or crisp bread spread with hummus.

Cherry Tomato Compote

1 pint of cherry tomatoes washed and sliced in half length wise
1/2 cup of grapeseed oil or olive oil
1 clove of garlic peeled and sliced in half
2 sprigs of rosemary or basil or oregano (use your favorite herb!)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper  and lay tomatoes cut slide down single file on papered tray. Bake for 20-25 minutes until the skins are crinkled. Place your garlic and herb of choice in a heat proof glass jar big enough to accommodate oil and tomatoes; set aside. Next, heat oil in a small heavy sauce pan on medium low. You do NOT want to bring the oil to a boil. Just heat gently until warmed. I monitor this by the sizzle-bubble-leaf test ( I just made up that term!) I place a single rosemary leaf in my oil when I start heating it. As soon as I see little sizzle bubbles surrounding the leaf I know the oil is warm enough. Pour your oil gently and carefully into glass jar.I recommend putting the jar on top of a large plate in case of spills. PLEASE do not touch the oil or jar or get burned:) Use a pot holder to grip the jar and cover the jar with the lid after oil is added and set aside to cool. After your tomatoes are roasted remove from oven and cool. Once your oil and tomatoes are cool and safe to handle add the tomatoes to the oil. Store in the fridge as the oil is perishable with the tomatoes. When you are ready to use the compote  remove from refrigerator place on counter and let it warm to room temperature so the oil can liquefy. Below is a visual montage for the steps described.










Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!
Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn



No comments:

Post a Comment