Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Trail Mix Cookie Bars (gluten free, dairy free)

Don't you just love snacks that taste good?! When I first started eating a clean whole foods diet I thought my life would forever consist of baked chicken breast and steamed broccoli. Wrong! I thought I would be deprived of sweet treats and have endless sugar cravings after kicking the white stuff habit; sugar that is. One of the hardest and easiest transitions for me was giving up white sugar. After I stopped eating it, baking with it, and buying packaged foods with sugar and corn syrup I did go through a detox. I got through this by increasing my intake of fresh fruit and using more natural sugar alternatives like honey. Dried fruit especially dates and raisins can really help you satisfy  your sweet tooth craving without giving in. What made this process easy was the positive reaction I felt in my body, my clearer skin, and also being cavity free for the last two years! Today's recipe is a great snack to stash in your purse, carry along for road trips, or feed your hungry toddler after you pick her up from school. 




Trail Mix Cookie Bars

1/2 brown rice flour
2 TBS stabilized rice bran
2 TBS blonde palm sugar
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 cup hemp seeds hulled
1&1/2 cups chopped walnuts and almonds (or any combo you like)
1 cup each of chopped dates and raisins (or other dried fruit)
1 egg plus 2 egg whites
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
2 TBS apple butter or apple sauce









Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line an 8x8 square glass baking dish with parchment paper; enough for some to hang over the edges of dish. In a large bowl mix flour through dried fruit and combine well. In a separate bowl mix eggs, vanilla, and apple butter/sauce together then add to dry mixture. Stir until all ingredients are well combined and press down evenly into dish. Bake for 30 minutes until set. Remove from oven and cool. Once cooled lift up parchment paper out of dish  and onto cutting board then cut into bars. These are stable at room temperature for 1 week or you can wrap them and freeze them.



Today's Workout Blip:
I can not believe I'm already in week 6 of my Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan. Only 6 more weeks and I will be done with this plan.
Check out my new t-shirt "Lifting more than babies & lip gloss" from Busy Mom Gets Fit. 

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment