Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Buckwheat Baby Cakes!



I have always loved breakfast. I have always loved pancakes. My freshman year of college IHOP had all you could eat pancakes for $4.99. Rich and I were friends at the time and I was invited along with the gang to the couture dining experience at The International House of Pancakes or IHOP. Well as the story goes all the guys decided to have a pancake eat-off contest. And oh yes I joined too! And I won! I out ate 6 college guys. I ate 13 IHOP pancakes fully loaded with syrup and butter. I even rotated the different flavors of syrup between plates of cakes. Needless to say I didn't eat pancakes for months! I know my parents hoped that I applied that steadfast iron will to my studies and not just pancake eating contests.
Those glory days are behind me and I stick to reasonable sized portions; see the picture above? Just kidding. I eat like 2 maybe 3 on a good day. Enough about me and onto today's recipe Buckwheat baby cakes. Did you know that buckwheat is not "wheat" at all ?! Me neither until  a year ago!  It is a "nutritional giant"that grows wild in Asia and rhubarb's cousin. My first experience with buckwheat pancakes was at the tender age of 8 or so on a family snow skiing trip. Mom made them. I hated them. Somehow through the years I've developed a taste for buckwheat. It is definitely a distinct taste of its own. On first bite it may not be true love, but give it another go. After all second chances are a beautiful thing don't you think?

topped with Tap n' Apple butter, honey, and sliced almonds
photo by Rich

Buckwheat Baby Cakes

1 cup of buckwheat flour ( I use Arrowhead Mills Organic Buckwheat flour)
1 cup of all purpose gluten free flour mix ( add 1/2 tsp xanthan gum if not in mix)
2 TBS rapadura or coconut sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp sea salt
2 eggs separated
1/4 cup grapeseed oil
2 cups of buttermilk ( I use Saco; I mix the powder in with dry ingredients and add the water with eggs/oil)
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 apple grated
Mix buckwheat, g-free flour, sugar, baking powder, sea salt, and cinnamon ingredients in a bowl with a whisk and set aside. Next separate 2 eggs. Place whites in a bowl and beat with mixer until stiff peaks form. Set aside. Combine yolks, oil, vanilla, and buttermilk and add to flour mixture. Fold in whipped egg whites and then add grated apple.I grated my apple with a cheese grater.
Preheat griddle and oil it. Pour batter onto griddle and flip cakes when edges are set and tops have bubbles. Enjoy!


Today's Workout Blip:

I may have been silent the last few days on the blog, but I've been knocking out my workouts for week 5 of my Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan  the past 2 days. I griped about Monday's pull ups exercises in the last post. I surpassed my own expectations and managed 2.5 reps the first set and 1.5 reps set 2 and 3. I did the remaining reps assisted with the machine to get a total of 10 reps. My trainer Kyra recommended that I practice an additional 1 or 2 times a week following my workout for that day. I really want to get to 12 full reps unassisted pull ups by week 8! I also did a new exercise per the plan that I love stability ball pike + pushups. This exercise will work your mummy tummy for sure! I really felt it in my lower abs and believe me after baby that is a difficult area to tone up. Give it a go and keep your core tight and strong while performing this exercise.

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment