Monday, July 9, 2012

Chic Chick Peas



The humble chick pea or garbanzo bean has become a real staple in my gluten free diet. According to Nutritiondata.com just 1 cup of cooked chick peas has 15 grams of protein, 12 grams of fiber, no saturated fat, and provides 26% of your daily value of iron! These legumes have class. I had never had chick peas or hummus until college. Rich and I used to eat at this little hole in the wall place called The Mediterranean Deli and Bakery in West Palm Beach, Fl. They have the best middle eastern food in the city! One of my favorite dishes there is the chickpea salad and they make their own hummus which is to die for.
I started roasting chickpeas this past winner to have as a protein snack. I also enjoy  them on top of salads, soups, and stews. It is a great grab and go snack!


Roasted Chick Peas

4 cups of cooked chick peas ( learn how to make them from dried beans here)
2 TBS grapeseed or olive oil
1 tsp of sea salt
2 tsp of ground fancy paprika

Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed backing tray with parchment paper. Mix all your ingredients in a large mixing bowl then spread the chick peas on top of the parchment lined baking tray. Spread the peas out evenly so they're not crowding each other. Now depending on how crunchy you want your peas to be you will roasting them 30 minutes to 1 hour. Be sure to turn the peas with a spatula every 15 minutes and watch that they do not burn. Burnt chick peas can crack your teeth and are impossible to eat.

Don't my Chick Peas look so Chic in my Weck Jar?
Today's Workout Blip:

Today I had a sense of power as I hit the gym. I am on week 4 of my  Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan. This is the longest I've stuck with an outlined plan and am thrilled with the results thus far. When I posted last Monday about my Chest/Back workout I mentioned that I really wanted to go for it with my decline pushups this week. I did! I maxed out at 30 reps circuit 1, 25 reps circuit 2, and collapsed at 27 reps on round 3. I also ramped up my burpees. I decided to do my second and third sets of burpees on one leg! I posted a video below of what it looked sans the sandbag the  trainer is jumping over. Give it a whirl!  For today's cardio I performed the prescribed 22 minutes of high intensity interval training (HIIT). HIIT has intervals of low intensity and high intensity work periods. For example I did 5 minutes of warmup and  cool down at the end of my HIIT on the treadmill and sandwiched in between that was were 1 minute periods of sprinting followed by 1.5 minutes of jogging. Here is a HIIT workout you can try. You repeat  the  high and low intensity intervals back to back then cool down with a light jog. One of my dear girlfriends wants to know exactly what my workouts look like. I am sorry to say that I can not divulge that info on this blog as I had to pay for my plan and that would do a disservice to my lovely virtrual trainer Kyra. However, I will continue to share snippets of exercises and if I perform a workout or circuit that I create on my own I will post it. 



Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment