Sunday, July 29, 2012

Crust-less Skillet Quiche

quiche


I love simple Sunday meals. Sundays are my relax and reload days. If it is not my weekend to work at the pharmacy I use this day to plan and prepare for the meals for the coming week. Last Sunday I actually batch cooked for the entire week ahead. I only had to cook 3 dinners this past week and most of the ingredients for those meals were pulled from my batch prepping.
Often when I come home with the family after church for lunch we are all starving. Today was no exception and my fridge was nearly bare.  I had 2 eggs, some kale, and leftover ricotta cheese from my zucchini pie recipe. I knew it had to be fast, nutrient dense, and delicious and thus this recipe was born.



Crust-less Skillet Quiche

2 cups of chopped kale washed and ribs removed. Watch demo here on how to cut kale.
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1/2 tsp of Herbes De Provence (I use Badia)
1 TBS of olive oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup of skim ricotta or low fat cottage cheese
1 TBS of chopped basil ( I use Gourmet Garden)
1/2 cup of milk ( I use cashew)
1/4 tsp sea salt
pinch of ground pepper



Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Heat 1 TBS of olive oil in oven-proof non-stick skillet. Add chopped kale, onion, and Herbes De Provence. Saute until kale is wilted and onion is golden. Mean while add eggs, ricotta or cottage cheese, basil, milk, salt, and pepper to Blendtec or blender. Puree until smooth. Next spread kale mixture evenly over skillet and gently pour egg mixture over kale into skillet. Cook on stove top until egg mixture starts to bubble and edges are set then place skillet into oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes. Make sure eggs are cooked through.

Here are picture of the products I used in the ingredients listed. I purchased them at my local Publix supermarket. I love using  Gourmet Garden Herb blends in place of the fresh herbs that end up going bad before I use what I buy. The Gourmet Garden blends can be stored in fridge or freezer.
Gourmet Garden Chopped Basil


I love Herbes De Provence. When I first needed this ingredient for a recipe awhile back I had no idea where to buy it. Low and behold my local grocer carried it! It is a blend of thyme, basil, lavender, and fennel. This is fabulous sprinkled on chicken and then baked with lemon juice.

Badia Herbes De Provence

Today's Workout Blip:
Today is rest day for my Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan. Do not forget to take at least 1 rest day from exercise each week. Preferably make it active rest. Watch this YouTube from Oxygen Magazine & Tosca Reno about this concept.

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment