Thursday, July 12, 2012

Sweet Potato Stuffed Acorn Squash ( gluten free,dairy free)

Photo by Rich
My local Publix Greenwise Market makes this delicious stuffed acorn squash and inspired today's recipe. This recipe maybe a little too involved for your typical weeknight dinner, but it would make a great dish to impress company or addition to your next holiday meal!

Sweet Potato Stuffed Acorn Squash         

Photo by Rich

  • 1 acorn squash
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • honey for drizzling
  • 2 TBS almond milk
  • 3 TBS turbinado or rapadura sugar
  • 1 large sweet potato baked & peeled
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1/4 tsp cream of tartar


Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Wash acorn squash and cut in half long ways then scoop out seeds and discard. Place squash cut side up in a glass rimmed baking dish and fill with 1/4" of water. Sprinkle each half of squash with 1/4 tsp of cinnamon and drizzle honey on top. Bake for 45 minutes to 1 hour until tender. Meanwhile beat sweet potato with remaining 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1 TBS sugar, and milk until smooth. In separate bowl beat egg whites, vanilla extract,  tartar, and 2 TBS of sugar until stiff peaks form. Fold egg whites into sweet potato mixture. Line a rimmed baking dish (that can be placed under broiler) with parchment paper and place cooked acorn squash cut sides facing up. Stuff sweet potato mixture into acorn squash ( I used my pampered chef Easy Accent Decorator to get the pretty swirl.) Broil until sweet potato is set and golden. Watch to make sure it doesn't burn.


Today's Workout Blip:

Today I totally trashed my shoulders. One exercise I did today to work my shoulders and lats was single arm dumbbell rows with 30 lbs for 3 sets of 12 reps per arm (yikes!) Today I again did my Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan  step mill workout. I have to confess I enjoyed it and am falling in love with the step mill!

Let's Connect!
You can now follow me on pinterest  and twitter @LeanGourmet. Also on the sidebar of the blog you can sign up to have the blog emailed to you. I have a facebook page too!

Until next time stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn


No comments:

Post a Comment