Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Pumpkin Pancakes (gluten free) & Halloween


I can't believe Halloween is finally here. To think in two months time Christmas will have come and gone and we will be ushering in 2013. This year has been a big one for the Gaus family. Rich started working on his MBA, I started blogging, and I am starting a Health Coach Certification with WellCoaches next week! I still plan on continuing to practice as a pharmacist, but this certification will enable me to reach some other career goals down the road. I am particularly interested in working with diabetics. Weird, I know, to mention this on the biggest candy holiday of the year second to Valentine's Day.




Pumpkin Pancakes (Gluten Free)

1/4 cup of blanched almond flour
1/2 cup of brown rice flour
1/4 cup of sorghum flour
1/4 cup of tapioca flour
1/4 cup of buttermilk powder ( I use Saco)
2 TBS of blonde coconut sugar
1/2 tsp of xanthan gum
2 & 1/4 tsp of baking powder
3/4 tsp of baking soda
3/4 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
3/4 cup of pumpkin puree
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 cup of water
1 egg + 2 egg whites
2 TBS of expeller pressed coconut oil
Mini Chocolate chips (optional)

In a large mixing bowl combine flours, buttermilk powder, xanthan gum, baking powder, baking soda, and pumpkin pie spice. In a separate bowl beat with a mixer until combined pumpkin, vanilla, water, eggs, and oil. Combine wet ingredients with dry. Toss in desired amount of chocolate chips. Heat a greased griddle on medium low and pour batter into desired pancake shape/size, cook until bubbly then flip. Cook other side until golden. Serve and Enjoy! Makes about 10-12 4 inch pancakes.

Halloween

I always loved trick-or-treat when I was a kid. My mom saw it as an outlet for her creativity. One of my first costumes she dressed me up as Aunt Jemima; ya know the syrup bottle shapped like a lady! Thank God there are NO pictures of that.
Another year she dressed me up as a Christmas tree. That is me in the middle with "grapes" on the left and big bird on the right.


I was fortunate to have Halloween off and after our pancakes. Isabella and I went to her trick or treat parade at her school. She is a white bunny this year. Isn't her fluffy tail so cute?!



She was really impressed with her stash from the parade. She is in high anticipation of trick or treating in our neighborhood tonight.

Stay strong & carry on,

Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment