Friday, October 12, 2012

I am Superwoman

                                                                            Source: ffffound.com via Aubrey on Pinterest


I am superwoman. I workout 7 days a week, eat perfectly, have a well kept house, my child is well groomed and perfectly behaved, I wash and press all of my husband's business shirts weekly, I make my bed every morning, I work full time, volunteer in my local church, shop frugally, do crafts, and I got it all together. 
Don't you think that will make a great Halloween costume this year?! Ha Ha:)
All joking aside. I had a dear reader post on my FB fan page this question this past week:

"So I am having a hard time balancing my schedule to include workouts... I'm always inspired by how you are a full time working mom who has time to cook well and exercise... What's your motivation? How do you structure you day on limited time and still work in exercise, cooking, work, fam & enough hours of sleep to do it all over again?"


First I would like to say thanks. I am glad I inspire you because that is what I am here to do along with sharing some healthy gluten free recipes and tips on how I live a fit lifestyle.

Now onto answering the question(s).

What is my motivation for living a healthy lifestyle?

That is just it. To be healthy and fit! When I first started exercising and watching my diet 10 plus years ago it was to be thin and cute. That is the honest truth. After I had my daughter it was to lose my pregnancy weight. Now I am in a place where it is about more than just appearance or fitting into my skinny jeans. It goes beyond the surface. I have a slue of bad medical history in both of my parent's family trees ranging from diabetes, thyroid disease, and cancer. My genetics are the cards I was dealt. I can't change them, but I can take care of this body, God's creation, to the best of my ability. Secondly, now that I am a parent I am automatically a role model. I  want my daughter, Isabella, to live a healthy active life herself. I set the example. See...


I had been working out at home the day I took this picture. One of the exercises I did was decline push-ups. Isabella tried to imitate everything I was doing. She didn't do a push-up, but held a decline plank for 2 seconds. It made me laugh and realize she is watching! I challenge you to list out your motivation(s) for living a healthy lifestyle. Leave me a comment below I would love to know what they are!

How do I structure my day or fit it all in?

  • I plan: My workout schedule works around my work schedule and any other activities we have planned for that week. I am a retail pharmacist. I work every third weekend. I work until 9 pm two nights a week. My shifts range from 6 to 10 hours. That is my starting point. Key point: I plan my workouts for the week (most of the time.)

  • I outsource: I have a online virtual trainer,Kyra, who I pay a reasonable monthly fee to plan my weekly workouts for me. I spent way to much time agonizing over putting together weight training routines and not getting anywhere. I know the things I am good at and this is not one of them:) I also have a woman that deep cleans my home once a month. I can't believe this. Three years ago I NEVER would have considered paying someone to do housework for me. When I finished pharmacy school and started working full-time with a new baby I needed the extra help. Key point: Know your limits and where you need help then don't be afraid to ask.

  • I tag team: My husband, Rich, is a true life partner, a fabulous husband, and terrific dad. I am crazy about this man. We work together to get it done. We don't have dedicated chores. I do most of the cooking, but the weekends I work he usually has dinner ready when I come home. He makes 20 different varieties of meatloaf and he makes a mean lasagna too. Key point: You can't do it all and still remain sane. Ask for help and be a team player!

  • I set my priorities: My family is top priority. I usually don't go out or see friends during the work week. I reserve my evenings that I am not working late to spend time with my family. I visit with friends during the weekends or when I have days off during the work week which happens every third week with my schedule. Key point: Decide what is important to you in your life and prioritize.

  • I rest: I need 9-10 hours of sleep. I usually get 7-8. If I sleep 6 or less hours I do not function well. I aim to go to bed the same time EVERY NIGHT  and wake up around the same time EVERYDAY. It is much better for your body to have a set routine sleep schedule rather than barely sleeping during the work week and catching up on the weekends. I also take active rest or full rest days from my workout routine. I usually do not workout 2 days a week baring there is no illness involved. If I am sick which I have been more often this past summer and early fall than I usually am I will decrease my activity. Key point: Make and stick to a routine bed schedule and also take active rest days from working out.
  • Meal Plan & pack a cooler: This is where I need to take my own advice. I meal plan sometimes and batch cook sometimes. Read more about that here and here. It works really well when I do! It is a money saver if you meal plan based on what is on sale at your local grocer. I am not good at that. In fact I hate it. It gives me a headache staring at coupon blogs, grocery fliers, my pantry, and then trying to make a plan with it all. I usually buy what is on sale pair it with what I have in my pantry and fly by the seat of my pants. I guess I like the suspense. It spurs on much of the creativity that goes into this blog. I pack a cooler of food everyday without fail. I will not go to work or run a long day of errands without my cooler. Key point: To succeed with eating healthy plan a menu for the week and always pack lunch with snacks.

I would like to close this post with stating these are my opinions and what works for ME. Maybe my tips will help you or not. That is OK. I encourage you to figure out what works for YOU and your family. We are all different with different needs, schedules, priorities and so forth. I don't do all these things all the time either. I do the best I can. I had two nasty sinus infections back to back in July and August. I had a few weeks where I maybe worked out twice. I am learning the art of giving myself grace and balancing life's many demands. It is all about progress not perfection.

I would love to know your thoughts.

Stay strong and carry on,
Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment