Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Fall is Here & Ginger Pumpkin Pie Cups

fall
Source
I can almost hear the leaves crunching under my boots. I remember what it was like to walk home from school during those autumn days long long ago. Kicking up the leaves as I trudged home. No matter if it was a good day or a bad day a scene as colorful as this made me happy. I still remember vividly having a dream 3 years ago right around this time. I was 8 months pregnant and it was still sweltering hot in South Florida in October. I dreamed I was back home in Pennsylvania, not pregnant, going running in the cool crisp fall air with the leaves crunching beneath my trainers.  I woke up still pregnant and missing home. I can't help how much I love and miss the northern autumn...










                                                                            Source: soleadusthere.tumblr.com via Wendi on Pinterest
I come from a long line of pie bakers. We make 'em from scratch crust and all. I've been a proud pie baker since I was a kid. My pumpkin pie is the first pumpkin pie my husband ever ate and loved. When I learned I had to eat gluten free due to my gluten sensitivity I found myself on new ground. In fact I'm still struggling and learning how to bake gluten free. I miss rolling out flexible glutenous pie crust. Gluten free pie crust from what I've tried is more "press in the pan" type dough. It is just not the same. Today's recipe is a crust-less "pie" and very easy to make! It has a crunchy ginger topping and is a light dessert.
Photo by Brooklynn


Ginger Pumpkin Pie Cups


1/2 cup of pumpkin puree ( I used canned or you can make your own)
1/2 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1/2 tsp of vanilla extract
1/4 cup of coconut sugar
1/4 cup of milk
1 egg 
1/8 tsp of sea salt

Topping
1/3 cup of blanched almond flour
1/8 tsp of  ground ginger
2 TBS of coconut sugar
1 TBS of coconut oil


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 4 (4 0z) glass ramekins with oil. Mix pumpkin, pie spice,vanilla, sugar, milk, egg, and sea salt in a large mixing bowl with hand held electric mixer until smooth and combined. Place ramekins onto rimmed cookie sheet. Pour batter into ramekins. Next prepare topping by mixing almond flour, ginger, sugar, and coconut oil till mixture forms course crumbs; then gently sprinkle topping onto pie batter and bake for 20-30 minutes until set and cooked through. Some of the topping will sink into the batter. Use a butter knife or toothpick and gently stick in middle of pie. If it comes out clean the pies are done. Cool then serve. These are great the next day after chilled in the fridge. It give a chance for the spices to mingle. Serves 4. 

Stay strong and carry on,

Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment