Monday, October 15, 2012

Mean Green Detox Juice



My husband and I watched Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead,earlier this year. It is a documentary by this man, Joe Cross, who was fat, sick and nearly dead that went on a juice fast and changed his health around in 60 days. He claims he juiced his way to health. Check out his facebook page here. 

Making fresh juice in a juicer is so much better than buying bottled juice according to this article here. Nutritionally the processed stuff can't compete with fresh juice. Rich and I had to buy a juicer after watching this film and doing our research. We don't juice everyday, but I  do make my own juice when I am needing a little pick me up. Here is a link to several juice recipes. Here is a video by Dr. Mercola on juicing. I appreciate that he mentions that juicing is NOT for everyone depending on their metabolic typing. I do believe I am one of those individuals that daily juicing is not beneficial though I have not gone through metabolic typing it is just a intuitive hunch.

My favorite is my Mean Green Detox Juice. It tastes like apple lemonade. It is very tart with a hint of sweetness. I use my Jack Lalanne PJP Power Juicer Pro Stainless-Steel Electric Juicer, but I have also used my Blendtec in the past as well. The juicer makes a straight smooth juice whereas my Blendtec juice is very fibrous and kinda mushy. I use my juicer and then will use my Blendtec to puree the juice with protein for smoothies.
Here are a couple of things to keep in mind when juicing.

Food Safety & Juicing

  • Wash your hands
  • Wash and scrub the produce removing stems and any stickers
  • Wash your juicer with hot soapy water or run in dishwasher on the sanitize cycle if dishwasher safer (check manufacturer instructions)
  • It is best to drink juice the same day it is made and can spoil if not refrigerated
And now onto the recipe...


Mean Green Detox Juice

1/2 lemon
1 large granny smith apple
4 large stalks of kale

Wash and scrub lemon and apple, Rinse kale. Place ingredients into juicer. Add ice cubes to fresh juice to serve cold. Serves 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment