Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Cider Apple Parsnip Soup



A co-worker recommend this great tasty hard cider a few weeks ago, Angry Orchard Hard Cider. I purchased the Crisp Apple flavor. Since I can't drink traditional beer anymore because of my gluten intolerance I've been hard pressed to find a good gluten free alternative. Gluten free beer is gross. At least the two or three varieties I have tried. I am more of an occasional wine drinker. I enjoyed the hard cider so much I had to use in cooking. I didn't think it would go well with traditional beer and cheese soup so I paired with apples and parsnips and voila! This recipe was born.



Cider Apple Parsnip Soup

1 small onion chopped
1 cup of celery chopped
1 tsp of garlic minced
1 lbs of parsnips peeled and sliced
3 Macintosh apples cored, peeled and sliced
1 tsp of ground cumin
1 cup of gluten free hard apple cider ( I used Angry Orchard Crisp Apple)
1 tsp of salt
1/8 tsp of ground black pepper
4 cups of gluten free chicken or vegetable broth

Heat 1 TBS of organic sunflower oil in heavy stock pot on medium low heat. Toss in onion, celery, and parsnips. Saute for 5 minutes. Add in garlic, apples, cumin, salt and pepper. Saute for 5 more minutes. Add in cider and simmer for 2 minutes. Then add in broth bring to boil then simmer on low heat for 30 minutes. Remove soup from heat and cool til warm. Puree mixture with an immersion blender. Garnish with parsley. Serves 4-6.

No comments:

Post a Comment