Saturday, September 8, 2012

Will you Muffin Me? Apple Cinnamon Muffins (gluten free&dairy free)

I love my Blueberry Streusel Muffins and I woke up at 5 am yesterday with a hankering for muffins. I didn't have any blueberries or raisins, but I had this perfect lonely golden delicious organic apple in the crisper drawer in the fridge begging to be used. This recipe is almost identical to the blueberry recipe with a few minor changes. It is gluten free and dairy free. I used blonde coconut sugar as the sweetener which is a natural sugar derived from the blossoms of the coconut tree and has a low glycemic index. A perfect recipe for the strike sugar September initiative.

Apple Cinnamon Muffins

Muffins

1 cup of brown rice flour ( I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup of potato starch (I use Bob's Red Mill)
1/2 cup of blanched almond flour ( I use Honeyville Farms)
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/2 cup Blonde Palm Sugar
1 TBS baking powder
1 tsp of ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp sea salt
1 cup of blueberries, defrosted if using frozen
1/4 cup of chopped walnuts
1/3 cup refined coconut oil melted
1 tsp of vanilla extract
2 eggs beaten
1 cup of cashew milk or coconut milk
1 apple washed and grated ( I used an organic golden delicious apple with skin on)

Streusel Topping

1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup Blonde Palm Sugar
2 TBS of brown rice flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon
2 TBS refined coconut oil melted

Preheat oven to 350. Grease a muffin tin well. I use a food grade rubber silicon muffin tray and lay it on top of a regular steel muffin tin to give it support. I grease it well and my muffins come out easily once cooled.
Prepare streusel by mixing all the ingredients for topping in a bowl mixture should be course and moist, but not wet. Set aside. Mix brown rice flour through sea salt in a large mixing bowl with whisk.
In a third bowl mix oil, vanilla, eggs and milk then pour into dry flour mixture and stir well to combine then add in grated apple. Load muffin tray with batter and top with streusel topping. Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden and test with a toothpick in your biggest muffin; if it comes out clean they are done!

No comments:

Post a Comment