Friday, September 28, 2012

White Bean Burgers




I am not frugal by nature. Did somebody say filet mignon? I don't clip coupons often, but I do buy in bulk at Costco. I stock up during sales and buy most of my dry pantry staples for much cheaper prices online than at the grocer.  We eat a lot of protein and  have a serving of protein no matter if it is a snack or meal. We even have protein with breakfast everyday. I've been looking for ways to find cheaper protein sources. It is so costly to have lean organic chicken breast or grass-fed lean ground beef with every meal. I stumbled upon this recipe for White Bean Szechuan Burgers on the Spunky Coconut. I was inspired to create my own white bean burger recipe.

White Bean Burgers

2 cups of cooked Great Northern Beans rinsed
3/4 cup of almond flour
1/2 cup of ground  flax seed
1 tsp of paprika 1 tsp of Bragg's Liquid Aminos
2 eggs
1 tsp of sea salt
1/4 cup of chopped onion

Place all ingredients into a food processor and puree until smooth. You may need to process a few times to get a smooth lump free consistency. Heat 2 TBS of olive oil or sunflower oil in a skillet on medium low. Drop a large spoonful of mixture into pan and press down on it with spoon to create a patty shape. These burgers are too sticky to shape by hand. Cook for 4 minutes then flip with a spatula and press down to flatten patty. Cook on other side for 4 more minutes. Makes 7-9 burgers.

We enjoyed our bean burgers on top of greens with a dollop of Greek yogurt, a dash of ground cumin, and with some avocado oil drizzled on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment