Thursday, September 20, 2012

Chocolate Coconut Almond Granola

I don't buy boxed cereal often. It is just SO pricey and gluten free cereal selection is limited compared to the conventional options. I do shop sales and use coupons when I can. However, the way we eat there just aren't coupons for things like lean ground turkey meat and coconut oil. So I save where and when I can and in other ways. When is the last time you saw some wholesome gluten free granola on sale and with a coupon at your local grocer? Me neither! Often store bought granola is loaded with sugar which is a no-no for this mama. I have taken a liking to making my own homemade granola. I posted my Simple Crunchy Granola recipe two months ago here. I had this idea to create a chocolate granola for the last two weeks. I didn't have it in me to batch cook this past Sunday after working all weekend, but I mustered enough energy to  come up with a new chocolate granola recipe which I think you will enjoy as much as we do! Its chocolaty goodness harkens childhood memories of dare I say Coco Puffs or Count Chocula? All those kids went coo-coo for Coco Puffs because of all the refined sugar and God knows what else in that cereal.



Chocolate Coconut Almond granola


2 cups of gluten free rolled oats
1 heaped cup of unsalted raw almonds 
¼ cup of chia
1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut 
1/4 cup of raw cacao powder or unsweetened coco powder
1/4 cup of maple syrup 
3 TBS of virgin coconut oil

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Don’t skip the parchment paper your granola will stick and burn to the pan . In a large mixing bowl toss the oats through cacao powder together until combined. Then add maple syrup and coconut oil over the granola and stir until well coated. Spread granola out on parchment paper lined pan and bake for  15-20 minutes or until golden brown and toasted.Then remove from oven. Cool and store in an airtight container. It should stay fresh for about 2 weeks if its not all gone by then! We enjoyed our granola with cashew milk; yes you read that right and you can find out how to make cashew milk here or on top of Greek yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment