Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Christmas Spice Cake

I hate bananas. Passionately. The smell,the texture,the act of peeling it all initiate my gag reflex. I blame this on my great grandma sweetie pie. Her real name was Edith. Her nickname "Sweetie Pie" came about from her calling my Aunt Kim, "my sweetie pie." My Aunt started calling her Grandma Sweetie Pie. Sweetie Pie was my great maternal grandmother and would occasionally babysit me. I do not know if she had a potassium deficiency, but God she loved to feed me bananas. I have this clear memory from when I was three or four sitting on her knee watching her peel yet another banana for me to eat. I pushed the horrid fruit away and exclaimed, " I hate bananas." I haven't eaten one whole since. Oddly enough I enjoy banana bread and I will add half a banana in with my protein shake to make it thick, but you will never catch me peeling and eating one.

A few weeks ago I posted this picture on facebook of this elf on the shelf my daughter was gifted asking for name suggestions. My Aunt Debbie, the gifter, suggested Sweetie Pie. I was smitten. I am one for nostalgia and so my elf will be called Sweetie Pie.


Sweetie Pie the Elf
Now onto today's recipe.

These mini bundt spice cakes are the first thing I've baked this Christmas. I used my Nordic Ware Garland Mini-Bundt Cake Pan, 54724 (Google Affiliate Ad). I made them for some very special company my husband's Aunt Sissy & Uncle Ed.


Our trip in 2009 visiting Aunt Sissy & Uncle Ed in NJ&NYC

Christmas Spice Cake


2& 1/2 cups of blanched almond flour ( I use Honeyville)
1/2 tsp of sea salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp of cinnamon
1/4 tsp of allspice
1/4 tsp of nutmeg ( I freshly grate mine)
1/4 tsp of ground cloves
1/4 tsp of ground ginger
1/4 cup of almond oil I use (Spectrum Naturals 19119 Sweet Refined Almond Oil)
3 beaten eggs
1/4 cup of Plantation 33094 Blackstrap Molasses
1/4 cup of honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil mini bundt pans well and for every time you add fresh batter. Whisk together the almond flour through ginger in large bowl. In a separate bowl, with a hand mixer or stand mixer, beat together the oil and eggs. Next beat in honey, molasses,and vanilla. Add the dry ingredients to the wet a little at a time beating with mixer between adding the flour. Fill bundt molds 3/4 the way full and bake for 10 minutes or until a tooth pic in the middle of cake comes out clean. Cool. Then carefully remove cakes and place onto a wire cooling  rack. When cakes are completely cooled sprinkle clean powdered sugar on top. These will keep stored tightly in a an air tight container nestled between sheets of wax paper for a few days. The longer these little cakes sit the more vibrant the spices become; you can almost taste Christmas.

Stay strong and carry on,

Brooklynn

No comments:

Post a Comment