Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Pumpkin Pancakes Part Deux (Paleo Inspired)


There have been a lot of breakfast posts lately on this blog. Rosemary & Maple Turkey Patties, Paleo Pancakes and the like. One would think that I consume breakfast for all three meals a day. I don't, but who doesn't love breakfast for dinner?! During finals week of my undergraduate years at Palm Beach Atlantic University the faculty and staff would host a "It is Midnight Somewhere Breakfast." The dinning hall would open around 9 pm to serve carb-craving, stressed out students delicious breakfast food. I remember piling my plate high with sausages, pancakes, and eggs all the while feverishly talking with my peers as to their predictions for the Microbiology final. Belly full I would then scurry back to  my dorm to study. The midnight breakfast was a chance to break from all the cramming and take comfort in my favorite breakfast foods.

This will be the second pumpkin pancake recipe on the Lean Gourmet Kitchen. I found a great deal for organic canned pumpkin on Vitacost last week and couldn't wait to cook with it.
 So eat up cause it is midnight somewhere.

Pumpkin Pancakes Part Deux (Paleo Inspired)

4 eggs beaten
1/2 cup of pureed pumpkin
5 TBS of coconut flour
1/4 cup of coconut milk
3 TBS of organic butter melted or coconut butter
2 TBS of raw honey
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 tsp of cinnamon
1 tsp of pumpkin pie spice
1/4 tsp of baking powder

Heat griddle on medium low heat and melt 1 TBS of butter or coconut oil to coat griddle. Place eggs, pumpkin,coconut flour, milk, 2 TBS of melted butter or coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, pie spice, and baking powder into a blender and puree until batter is smooth. Pour batter into silver dollar sized circles and cook until the edges are set and pancake is bubbling. Flip pancakes and cook remaining side. Top with maple syrup, coconut butter, almond butter, or to your liking.

3 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Thanks for all the great "breakfast" recipes.

    Since I just found out I have an intolerance to coconut (what? I know!), what would you recommend I sub for the coconut flour? Almond? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Luvy! So glad you like the breakfast posts! Coconut flour acts very differently than other gluten free flours so almond and coconut flour would not be a 1:1 replacement ratio. I will see what I can come up with. Are you interested in a plain almond pancake batter or a pumpkin almond pancake batter

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete