Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup



Check out my new photo formatting doesn't it scream "Pin Me Baby!"

I created this recipe over a week ago. I really was thinking about making a lentil vegetable soup, but since adopting a Paleo Diet, legumes are not on my list of things to eat.  I was craving a warm thick comforting soup and this recipe fit the bill. 
I started reading Practical Paleo over the Christmas holiday. As a result I have ditched all grains, dairy, and legumes. It has been a revolutionary change. I have found that my appetite is changing along with my energy levels. I am eating more protein and healthy fats. I  feel more well rested and nourished.  Instead of eating quinoa, rice, and other gluten free grains I replaced these items with starchy veggies. Paleo is definitely not for the faint of heart nor is it the right nutrition plan for everyone. So far I have responded positively to this way of eating and will be continuing to learn more about the Paleo lifestyle.

Over the last few months I have become a podcast junkie. I started following the Balanced Bites Podcast. Diane Sanfilippo, the author of Practical Paleo, co-hosts the show with Liz Wolfe of Cave Girl Eats. These gals are hilarious and really dig deep into nutritional and health issues. The show is a sweet balance of fun & informative. Some day I too hope to have a podcast of my own where I can talk health and wellness all the time!

Their blog is also a great read as well! Check out this post A Biochem Snapshot: 5 Facts That Keep Me Paleo. It definitely resonated with the science nerd within. I was a biology/chem major in college and I  also have a Doctorate of Pharmacy. I totally dig health, nutrition, and biology info if that wasn't already obvious!

-Brooklynn

Sweet Potato & Carrot Soup

1 TBS of ghee
2 sweet potatos peeled and chopped
4 carrots peeled and chopped
3 stalks of celery chopped
1/4 cup of chopped onion
1 tsp of dried thyme
1 tsp of sea salt
1/8 tsp of ground black pepper
4 cups of water
1 can of coconut milk

Heat a large soup pot on medium low heat and add ghee. Once ghee has melted add potatoes, carrots, onion, thyme, salt, and pepper. Saute stirring occasionally for 10 minutes. Add 4 cups of water and cover the pot with a lid. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook soup for about 30 minutes, until vegetables are tender when pierced with a fork. Remove from heat and cool. Place soup into a food processor with coconut milk and puree until smooth. Depending on the size of your blender or food processor you may need to blend the soup in 2 or 3 batches.

No comments:

Post a Comment