Tuesday, June 26, 2012

How to eat an Elephant and roast a Spaghetti Squash


Aw, the old saying how to eat an elephant; one bite at a time. But I’m not talking about eating elephants.  I digress.  When I switched over to a gluten free diet last July it was bittersweet. I knew that giving up those foods that I love was necessary, but I mourned the loss of my beloved bran muffins.
So I faced this new challenge as I do the others in my day to day existence by taking it one meal at a time.  Giving up whole wheat pasta was down right depressing. Good bye carb goodness!  I had seen a lot of recipes for spaghetti squash as a replacement for pasta. I had a run in with spaghetti squash one Christmas vacation whilst home visiting the parents. The site of it cold shredded flesh in the fridge triggered my gag reflex. Flash ford two years later adopting a gluten free diet made me willing to try all kinds of new “strange” foods.  I decided to give this squash a shot as the carb to fiber ratio of most gluten free pastas is well; dissatisfying.

How to Roast Spaghetti Squash

                                        Wash your squash and make sure the sticker label is removed

Slice it in half long ways & Scoop out seeds and discard
                                   Place squash cut side down on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.

       Bake at 350 for  25-45 minutes until tender depending on the squash size. Shred meat of  squash with fork into a bowl. I like to sauté my shredded squash with olive oil,garlic, and fresh basil then serve with sauce.

Today’s Workout Blip

I’m on day 2 week  2  of the Get in Shape Girl Bikini Plan. I almost ditched my incline workout on the treadmill today after my legs and abs circuit ( holy sweat fest batman!) The circuits were intense and I have just finished working 9 days straight at the pharmacy; I was super tired! I persevered and did the whole darn thing. I’m still feeling really good, though my plantar fasciitis is raising its ugly head so tomorrow I will be doing a spin class rather than HIIT + 30 minutes of cardio on the treadmill. Until we see each other’s beautiful faces again. Stay strong and carry on!
Brooklynn































No comments:

Post a Comment